Principal Scientist, Vector Engineering & Bioassays
|Title:||Principal Scientist, Vector Engineering & Bioassays|
PRINCIPAL SCIENTIST, VECTOR ENGINEERING & BIOASSAYS
About SwanBio Therapeutics
SwanBio is a privately held, newly established biotechnology company focused on the discovery and development of innovative gene therapy products for the treatment of central nervous system (CNS) disorders and diseases. SwanBio has a deeply experienced leadership team and is building an open, innovative culture that trusts its people, processes and science to deliver scientific, clinical and business success. SwanBio’s lead investor is Syncona, a premiere investment partner focused on building companies delivering transformational healthcare treatments. Sycona has a deep pool of capital and they are established leaders in the development of genetic medicine. In particular, they present a legacy of success in long term investment strategies for companies in the Gene and Cell Therapy space. Our goal is to become a world-leader in treating neurodegenerative diseases. With locations in Philadelphia and Boston, the SwanBio Team is building a strong pipeline of gene therapy development programs with a directed focus on critical unmet medical needs for CNS diseases.
This role will actively take part in strategizing on and designing novel approaches to developing and screening AAV gene therapy constructs targeting certain diseases and tissues and planning and implementing these approaches. The position will interact closely with the research team to evaluate and characterize the constructs. Further this position will participate in various therapeutic programs in the company as well as manage studies conducted at contract research organizations. The role will also be responsible for design and development of bioassays for screening and characterization of the constructs and their biologic effects using in vitro assays.
- Provide leadership role in building and optimizing the design of therapeutic AAV constructs based on deep understanding of expression cassettes, AAV biology and molecular biology
- Provide leadership in Vector Production – AAV virus, research grade.
- Participate in expression cassette construction and optimization for pipeline projects and future programs, carrying out molecular biology studies in collaboration with the scientific teams in the company
- Develop and optimize new technologies to advance AAV-based gene therapy
- Develop new assays and explore innovative analytical techniques
- Develop and perform genome characterization and potency assays (i.e., genome integrity, sequence confirmation, sizing for residual DNA, vector variants) to support product development, formulation development, process development and manufacturing of gene therapy products
- Lead and contribute to assay development efforts by designing, performing and optimizing cell-based assays
- PhD in Molecular/Cellular Biology or related discipline
- 5-10 years of hands-on experience in gene therapy and drug discovery research
- Extensive hands-on experience with molecular and cellular techniques
- Working knowledge of neurobiology and at least several neurodegenerative diseases
- Strong publication record in peer-reviewed journals
- Direct management and leadership experience
- Experience in mammalian cell culture, molecular biology, protein biochemistry, immunoassays, flow cytometry, and quantitative PCR methods
- Experience in the development of complex biological assays
- Hands on experience in potency assays
- Must be able to compose sound and well-reasoned written work and possess the ability to present technical information to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Significant experience successfully managing and maintaining collaborations with outsourced vendors such as (labs, CRO’s, CMO’s etc.)
- Ability to be highly productive in a fast-paced, cross functional team-oriented work environment
- Understanding and experience of what it’s like to work in a small company start-up. Ability to be resourceful, collaborative and have a mind set of “no job too big no job too small”
- Proven ability to be a self-starter, who effectively plans, organizes and executes to meet key deliverables.
About the Benefits:
The successful candidate will enjoy a competitive base salary and the opportunity to participate in incentive compensation programs including bonus and stock option plans. Additionally, SwanBio Therapeutics offers all team members a comprehensive benefits program including: medical, dental, vision care, 401(k), paid vacation and Holiday time.
SwanBio Therapeutics is an equal opportunity employer
This opening is closed and is no longer accepting applications