Scientist/ Sr Scientist/ Process Engineer- AAV Purification
|Title:||Scientist/ Sr Scientist/ Process Engineer- AAV Purification|
About SwanBio Therapeutics
SwanBio is a privately held, newly established biotechnology company focused on the discovery and development of innovative gene therapy products for the treatment of central nervous system (CNS) disorders and diseases. SwanBio has a deeply experienced leadership team and is building an open, innovative culture that trusts its people, processes and science to deliver scientific, clinical and business success. Our lead investor, Syncona, is a leading healthcare company with an evergreen funding basis and a proven track record of successful long-term investment strategies including in Gene and Cell Culture companies. Our goal is to become a world-leader in treating neurodegenerative diseases. With locations in Philadelphia and Boston, the SwanBio Team is building a strong pipeline of gene therapy development programs with a directed focus on critical unmet medical needs for CNS diseases.
About the Opportunity
We are seeking a collaborative and highly technically motivated Scientist with protein purification and/or AAV vector purification experience. This position is hands-on and a potential leadership opportunity. The individual will be responsible for chromatography and filtration based bioseparations activities associated with the conceptualization and development of downstream AAV purification operations in manufacturing processes for sterile injectable AAV-based gene therapy drug products.
The scope includes all aspects of downstream process development efforts with focus on the manufacturing of AAV-based gene therapies including scientific principles and underlying concepts and methodology of biomolecules, proteins separations using affinity chromatography, ion-exchange chromatography, tangential flow filtration (TFF) and viral vector separation, purification and enrichment of full capsids.
- Solid working knowledge of basic chromatographic separation techniques and routine analytical procedures for characterization of process intermediates
- Design and conduct small-scale cell experiments with AKTA systems including scale-down model supporting production-scale purification optimization
- Develop and conduct experimental approaches including design of experiments (DOEs) to chromatography conditions
- Support and assist in technology transfer activities and oversight at CDMOs/CROs;
- Overall and importantly, as part of the Downstream Team you will: (i) contribute to Team efforts to apply engineering control concepts to efficient process attribute screening, optimization and scale-up of purification systems; (ii) establish robust, scalable, and productive downstream purification processes; and (iii) establishment of platform-based separation and purification operations for AAV-based vector therapeutics
- Author, review and provide technical support to the establishment and continuous improvement of manufacturing SOPs and batch production records
- Mentor associate scientists and research associates
- Advanced degree such as Masters or PhD in bioengineering/ biochemical engineering or related field and 0-5 years experience in developing purification processes for proteins and/ or AAV vectors
- Knowledge in broader scientific principles and underlying concepts of chromatography separations and downstream process development for gene therapy or viral vaccine drug candidates, both
- Demonstrated success and accomplishment in scientific creativity; sound judgment and problem-solving capabilities
- Ability to collaborate with others while maintaining a strong capability in independent, critical thought
- Must be able to clearly communicate scientific information in both written and oral settings
- Strong organizational skills are required and must be able to work as part of a team
- Experience working in an FDA regulated environment and knowledge of current GMPs as they apply to quality control laboratory practices are highly desired;
- Ability to travel (10% travel time).
About the Benefits:
The successful candidate will enjoy a competitive base salary and the opportunity to participate in incentive compensation programs including bonus and stock option plans. Additionally, SwanBio Therapeutics offers all team members a comprehensive benefits program including: medical, dental, vision care, 401(k), paid vacation and Holiday time.
SwanBio Therapeutics is an equal opportunity employer
This opening is closed and is no longer accepting applications